A Ph.D. chemist by training, I have written hundreds of articles, edited technical materials, and developed content for science exhibits. If your project requires writing chops, scientific expertise, or project management skills, contact me about how I might be able to contribute.
Science Writing and Editing:
- Freelance Writer: November 2004-present.
- Editor-in-Chief of The Science Writers’ Handbook website (pitchpublishprosper.com): January 2013- present. I have overseen the development, design and editorial content.
- Freelance Editor, Chemical & Engineering News: August 2013- present.
- American Chemical Society, Freelance Editor: editing extended research abstracts (Conspecti) in Accounts of Chemical Research to appeal to broader audiences: April 2008-present
- CR magazine, Researcher: fact checking for the magazine of the American Association for Cancer Research, July 2006-January 2008
- Popular Science, Freelance Fact Checker and Researcher: November 2004-November 2005
- WNBC-TV New York, AAAS Mass Media Fellow: assisting with the production of health stories for evening news: researching stories, contacting sources, pulling video, September-November 2004
- Discover, Editorial Intern: writing front of the book news articles and website exclusives and fact-checking, May-September 2004
Museum and Exhibit Experience:
- Research Coordinator for Exhibitions at Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles: May 2005-February 2006. Worked with design team at C&G Partners, New York– manager of research team, developed content and managed efficient flow of information among researchers, graphic designers and the client for award-winning permanent exhibitions at Griffith Observatory.
- Floor Manager, WonderLab Museum of Science, Health and Technology, Bloomington, Indiana. Responsible for supervising volunteers and other floor staff, performing science demonstrations and facilitating a positive experience for visitors, July 2003-May 2004
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana, Major: Organic Chemistry, Minor: Biochemistry, April 2004
- J. William Fulbright Fellowship for research in Organic Chemistry, Justus-Liebig-Universität, Gießen, Germany, 1996-97
- B.S. in Chemistry, B.A. in German, magna cum laude, Furman University, Greenville, South Carolina, June 1996
Journalism Fellowships and Professional Development:
- NASW Freelance Travel Fellowship, NASW/CASW Meeting, Palo Alto, CA, October 24-28, 2008.
- Ocean Science Journalism Fellowship, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA, September 7-12, 2008
- Medicine in the Media: The Challenge of Reporting on Medical Research, course participant, Hanover, NH, May 5-7, 2008
- Fellow for 2007 New York Times Institute for Journalists, Cells & Souls: The Science, Policy and Ethics of Embryonic Stem Cell Research, New York University, May 10-14, 2007
- Robert Bosch Stiftung Fellowship for U.S. journalists to attend Euroscience Open Forum 2006 meeting in Munich, Germany, July 15-19, 2006
- Student Fellow for Science Communications Workshop, Metcalf Institute for Marine and Environmental Reporting, University of Rhode Island, November 9-11, 2003
- National Association of Science Writers
- American Society of Journalists and Authors
- NYC program committee member—January 2008-June 2010
- Society of Environmental Journalists
- Science Writers in New York (SWINY)
- Board member, April 2005-February 2009
- Co-president, August 2006-August 2007
- Events Coordinator, April 2005-July 2006.